If you are one of those homeowners who think that you don’t need pest control services during winter as the insects and animals are hibernating, it’s high time you debunk the myth. Though flying insects like flies, bees and mosquitoes reduce in number with the arrival of winter, there are still a few pests which can create a nuisance with their activities. If you want to stay away from those stings and bites, get in touch with professionals offering pest control services.
Why Pests Attack During Winter?
The number of spiders, mice and cockroaches crawling underfoot increases drastically during winter. They look for shelter from the cold and find your home to be warm and cosy. Cockroaches can trigger asthma, spiders can bite and rodents can carry deadly diseases like Hantavirus and Salmonella. Since these pests are more hazardous than you think, take every preventive measure to keep them away from your property.
Common Pests During Winter
• Rats And Mice
It is quite easy for rats and mice to gain access to your home as they only require a crack in the walls or a tiny opening. Once they enter the attic, they start gnawing the wood beams, insulation and electrical wires. You will be surprised to know that a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime.
• Wood Destroying Insects
One of the main reasons why people can’t notice the damages caused by carpenter ants and termites before it’s too late is because they generally damage your home from inside out. Get in touch with professionals offering pest control services if you ever notice carpenter ants inside your house. They nest inside floors and walls and damage wood.
7 Tips By Pest Control Experts To Pest-Proof Your House During Winter
- Prevent rodents from entering your home by sealing all the holes and cracks on the exterior part of your house. The areas from where the pipes and other utilities are entering your house should be checked thoroughly.
- Boxes should be stored off the floor and storage areas should be kept organised as rodents generally hide in clutter.
- All moisture sites like clogged drains and leaking pipes should be eliminated. Professionals offering pest control service know that your bathroom and kitchen are more prone to cockroach infestations and pay extra attention to these areas.
- Loose motors and fixtures which has suffered weather stripping should be replaced immediately, especially those near the windows or around the basement foundation.
- The minimum distance between the places where you have stored the firewood and your house should be 20 feet. Ants and mice making nests in the woodpiles can gain access to your home easily so maintaining maximum distance is a must.
- Damaged window screens should be repaired and door sweeps installed.
- Ventilate the crawl spaces, attics and basements properly to keep them dry.
These being said, it’s time you follow the tips stated above and pest-proof your house this winter with expert pest control services.